2007年9月24日星期一

Pumpkins 南瓜

I sowed 2 varieties this May:
1) ‘Uchiki Kuri’ from SomElite seeds. This Japanese variety should produce relatively smaller fruits with golden orange flesh, sweet chestnut-like flavour. I find this plant rather vigorous.
By the time each plant produced 4-5 fruits, I snatched off the growing tip of the plants to allow energy going to the remaining fruits. The very wet and mild summer might be the cause of so moderate harvest now in September, with an average of 3 fruits per plant; but the sweet and tender taste of the pumpkin is beyond words. I baked them in the oven (skin on), made soup from them. They are simply delicious! It definitely is worth planting a few of this variety next year.

2) The second variety is from China, seeds given by my mother. Funny thing is: she could tell me no more than ‘these are pumpkin seeds’. There was no better way to find out than just sow them, wait and see. This pumpkin is relatively vigorous, but set fruit rather early; they are green in colour, oval in shape, the size and shape of an American football.
By end August, the fruit was completely ripe, and the skin turned slightly golden. I couldn’t wait cutting it open and taste. The taste is not significant, a bit sweet, but very watery, ok for in the soup, but not suitable for pumpkin cake or mashes. I might consider growing it next year though, for their seeds! These are fat, big seeds that come off the flesh very easily. I have roasted some in the oven. Jammy!

没有评论: